Sunday 11 January 2015

High Street vs. High End | Fragrance

"My name's Emma and I'm a shopping addict."

When it comes to spending money on clothes, shoes and beauty products, I am the first to acknowledge I have no discipline. Factors usually considered in a purchasing process - e.g the price, how much I need the item, or even whether I've already got one in a different colour/style - become irrelevant. Do I like it? Answer yes... item sold. "It will come in handy one day. "

However, nothing delights me more than a bargain buy!

During a birthday present hunt today, my friend and I wandered into The Body Shop; a huge favourite of mine for gifts and bathroom products. A lot of the time with fragrance, I stick to what I know and repeatedly buy the same body mists for every day use, however I decided to have a sniff around and came across a new scent: White Musk Smoky Rose.

Initially I loved the smell of this and the longer it lingered the more I realised the familiarity of it. As I am already a proud owner of the very luxurious recent fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent, Black Opium (shop here), I was both a bit miffed but mostly excited to have found a cheaper alternative!

To clarify my impressions, both fragrances claim to have similar properties and are described to be "mysterious" scents that include floral and musky tones.  The Body Shop affirms the inclusion of black smoky rose and tobacco flower whilst YSL's has underlying hints of black coffee and vanilla. Smoky Rose is possibly a sweeter scent whilst Black Opium seems heavier, but both are divine and I would feel equally delicious after spraying myself with either.

At just £11 per (30ml) bottle in comparison with YSL's £44, I think it's obvious which my student budget will be buying more of. Naturally, I think the more expensive option will have better lasting powers, both in terms of staying all day on your body and how long the bottle of perfume will last before having to repurchase. Nevertheless, I can have the same daily experience for just a quarter of the price and save my super-expensive designer scent for special occasions or a treat and allow it to last a lot longer. This is a perfect money-saving dupe for anybody looking.

In terms of appearance and packaging I found even more similarities! Without the logo or brand name I don't think it is obvious how much of a price difference between the two there is. Each has a purple-pink tone to compliment the feminine and rosy, floral theme, and whilst Black Opium is encased in a black, glitter-flecked bottle, both appear to be musky and mysterious looking and would appeal to women who know they like this type of scent. I am a lover of both brands and each of their products, but I highly recommend the cheaper option I have found.

The Body Shop produce a range of items in line with this scent including body lotions and washes; shop the White Musk Smoky Rose collection here.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this post! What are your favourite scents or dupes?

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger
Design byJasmineJoy